November 28, 2022 5:55 PM
After a shredding machine malfunctioned and injured a man at an industrial business in Everett, Massachusetts, first responders arrived to pull him from the rubble.
Firefighters and first responders were seen surrounding what looked to be a large metal shredder machine at a recycling business called Scrap-it Inc. The place was located at 431 Second Street.
According to reports, an employee was feeding scrap materials into a shredder at 3:30 pm Thursday October 13, 2022 when he became entangled in the machine. First responders reportedly worked carefully for hours to free the person’s arm.
Investigators tell NewsCenter 5 that the worker may have had his leg caught in a machine.
Video from the scene showed a large group of firemen and EMTs, including Boston Fire’s technical rescue units and a medical doctor who was suited up in protective gear, all working to remove the worker from their dangerous situation.
One of the reporters at the scene said that the man was able to interact with paramedics and first responders.
First responders reassured the worker and worked for hours to free him, joined by Boston Fire’s Technical Rescue Unit, a team that specializes in complex rescues.
He was transported by an ambulance at 6:30 p.m.
“The male patient was removed from the equipment after several hours with help from additional medical personnel that had been brought in, and he was transported to an area hospital,” Mayor Carlo DeMaria of Everett said. “Team members from OSHA also responded to the scene to commence the investigation into this incident.”