Hay rakes are an important piece of agricultural machinery, used to rake up hay and other fodder crops. They are dangerous because the operator is in a confined space with hay and bales, and the rake can move rapidly. If not used properly, as they can cause injuries to the operators.
There have been several industrial hay rake injuries reported in recent years, most of which resulted in amputation. The most common causes of these injuries are operator error (such as not wearing safety gear) and machine failure (such as broken parts). More common injuries caused by hay rakes can include cuts, bruises, and broken bones.
Known hazards of using an industrial hay rake include: being pulled over the edge of a rake platform, getting caught between the rake teeth and the ground, and being dragged across the ground. These hazards can lead to serious injuries, including broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and head injuries.
Injuries can also occur when the rake falls off of the tractor, or when the operator is not properly gripping the rake handle.
If you are injured while using an industrial hay rake, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention.
Here are some tips for preventing injuries while using an industrial hay rake:
1. Always wear a safety helmet and eye protection.
2. Use caution when operating the machine. Do not exceed the machine’s rated speed or capacity.
3. Keep your arms and legs close to the body while operating the machine. If you fall, use your hands and feet to protect your head and body from injury.
4. Be aware of obstacles in your path and avoid them when operating the machine.
5. If you experience difficulty controlling the machine, stop working immediately and contact your employer or safety representative for assistance.
6. Stay away from the blade if it’s not properly adjusted or if it’s damaged. And make sure the machine is properly maintained by checking the blades and gears regularly.
If you have been injured by a hay rake, you should contact an attorney. Hay rakes are dangerous and can cause serious injuries. An attorney can help you determine whether you have legal rights and protect those rights.