DateCityStateEmployerBody PartEvent
2021-10-11BrandonSdMidwest Railcar Repair, Inc.Finger(s), fingernail(s)Struck by discharged object or substance
At about 10:00 p.m. on October 11, 2021, an employee was cleaning a pressurized paint gun. The gun activated while his left ring ringer was in front of the paint nozzle, which injected paint and solvent into the finger.
2021-05-11MosineeWiAmerican Asphalt of Wisconsin, A Division of Mathy ConstructionNonclassifiableIgnition of vapors, gases, or liquids
An employee was using welding equipment. Residual solvent fumes ignited and the employee was hospitalized for burns.
2021-02-10Sand SpringsOkNOV Fiber Glass Systems, LLCUpper and lower limb(s)Ignition of vapors, gases, or liquids
An employee was grinding on a metal resin pan and a spark ignited a 5-gallon bucket of solvent. The burning solvent splashed onto his right leg, causing burns to the right leg, right hand, and right arm.
2020-08-27SedaliaCoH&H Corporate LLCHand(s) and arm(s)Ignition of vapors, gases, or liquids
An employee was cleaning up a solvent leak from a membrane skid in a manufacturing facility. A nearby heat gun caused fumes from the leak to ignite. The employee suffered second-degree burns to the hand and arm.
2020-07-29DenverColoradoAdvanced Stucco Design IncBODY SYSTEMSIngestion of harmful substance
An employee drank from an unlabeled water bottle sitting next to another employee's water bottle. The bottle the employee drank from contained solvent. The employee began vomiting, then felt better, but began coughing up blood the next morning and was hospitalized.
2020-02-24South PlainfieldNew JerseyKOBO PRODUCTS, INC.Multiple body partsIgnition of vapors, gases, or liquids
An employee working as a chemical operator was attempting to light one of the mills. Solvent vapor was ignited by a spark and the employee was burned on the face and hand. The employee was hospitalized.
2020-01-14PuebloColoradoEVRAZ ROCKY MOUNTAIN STEELMultiple body partsIgnition of clothing from controlled heat source
An employee was cleaning parts in a solvent tank when solvent spilled on the employee's clothing. The employee walked by a furnace and the solvent on their clothing caught on fire resulting in burns to the entire lower half of his body.
2019-09-19College ParkGeorgiaAlchemix CorporationMultiple face locationsExposure through intact skin, eyes, or other exposed tissue
An employee was transferring xylene (a solvent) from tanks into a mixer. The xylene splashed on the employee, injuring the employee's face and eyes.
2019-06-24BridgewaterNew JerseyIngredion IncorporatedBODY SYSTEMSInhalation of harmful substance-single episode
An employee was exposed to fumes from solvent/adhesive that entered the building's air handler as a result of roofing contractor activities. The employee was hospitalized with back pain from coughing and other respiratory ailments.
2019-04-15AddisonIllinoisKribha Distribution CoUpper and lower limb(s)Ignition of vapors, gases, or liquids
On April 15, 2019, an employee was cleaning tables in the warehouse area with acetone. The employee heated up the acetone and the solvent ignited, burning him below the knee, on both legs, and the right hand.
2018-08-15SuwaneeGeorgiaPilkenton Construction IncWhole bodyIgnition of clothing from controlled heat source
The injured employee was applying flammable, solvent-based adhesive on the roof. As he walked by another employee using a torch to dry the roof, the employee's clothes ignited. The injured employee then entered the area where the adhesive was being applied and a fire started. The injured employee sustained burns to about 80 percent of his body and was hospitalized.
2018-05-24AlvinTexasASCEND PERFORMANCE MATERIALS LLCBack, including spine, spinal cordExplosion of pressure vessel, piping, or tire
An employee was struck in the back by a piece of a stainless steel organic solvent container that became over-pressurized and burst, suffering back lacerations. The container had at least 200 pounds of pressure and was full of liquid nitrogen at the time.
2017-08-09ColumbusOhioSherwin Williams Product FinishesFinger(s), fingernail(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during maintenance, cleaning
An employee was cleaning the shaft of a mixer with a solvent soaked rag and reached over to turn down the speed of the mixer. The rag on his hand wrapped around the rotating shaft, pulling on his left middle finger and amputating it at the second knuckle.
2017-03-16RockfordIllinoisJ.L. Clark LLCHand(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during maintenance, cleaning
On March 16, 2017, at approximately 9:50 p.m., an employee was hand cleaning the powered in-feed rollers used for pulling steel sheet from the steel sheet coil located on the nearby mandrel using a rag with a solvent when the employee's right hand was pulled in between the two rollers and crushed.
2016-07-20AthensTexasFuturematrix Interventional, Inc.BODY SYSTEMSExposure to other harmful substances
An employee felt ill at work after using MEK solvent (Butanone) and was hospitalized.
2016-01-16ChicagoIllinoisRoyal Envelope CorporationMultiple body partsIgnition of vapors, gases, or liquids
An employee suffered first and second degree burns to 20-30% of the body. The employee was using a floor waxing/buffing machine with a flammable solvent.
2016-01-16PasadenaTexasPeroxychem, LLCNonclassifiableExposure through intact skin, eyes, or other exposed tissue
Two employees were observing the transfer of solvent when an explosion occurred. As a result of the explosion, solvent from the truck was released onto the employees. One of the employees also suffered a ruptured eardrum.
2016-01-16PasadenaTexasEHS Services, LLCMultiple body partsExplosion of pressure vessel, piping, or tire
An employee was assisting another employee in hooking up a hose to a vacuum truck. The manifold over pressured and exploded, and the valve connected to the tank truck sheared, releasing solvent. The explosion knocked the employee to the ground breaking his arm, injuring his left eye and rupturing his eardrum.
2015-08-06EvanstonIllinoisPresence HealthKnee(s)Fall on same level due to slipping
An employee was sanitizing a hospital room after a patient was discharged. The employee slipped on cleaning solvent and landed on her left knee, breaking the knee cap.
2015-07-28Forest HillsNew YorkNetwork Infrastructure Inc.Arm(s)Exposure through intact skin, eyes, or other exposed tissue
An employee coating gas pipe with solvent experienced a burn to the left arm.
2015-05-29TwinsburgOhioMaval Industries LLC Division of Remy InternationalUpper and lower limb(s)Vehicle or machinery fire
An employee accidentally hooked up a 55 gallon drum of solvent instead of a 55 gallon drum of waste water to the evaporative machine to perform cleaning operations. The machine caught on fire on the inside and then created a flash fire on the outside which caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns to both hands and legs of the employee.