DateCityStateEmployerBody PartEvent
2021-08-02ClevesOhShoemaker Masonry ConstructionFinger(s), fingernail(s)Caught in or compressed by equipment or objects
An employee's finger was caught between the paddle and the drum of a mortar mixer. The finger was partially amputated.
2020-07-17KissimmeeFloridaFulcrum Construction, LLCMultiple face locationsInjured by slipping or swinging object held by injured worker
An employee was using a grinder to cut mortar joints in a concrete masonry unit when the grinder kicked back and cut into the right side of his face/mouth.
2020-03-11DuluthGeorgiaA.L. Grading Contractors, Inc. Finger(s), fingernail(s)Entangled in other object or equipment
A brick mason was using a drill to mix mortar when the drill's cord wrapped around their left ring finger causing a laceration that required hospitalization.
2020-02-27OrlandoFloridaFire Stop Systems, LLCFingertip(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during maintenance, cleaning
An employee was using a mortar mixer to mix fireproofing material. He was cleaning off the sides of the mixer drum when the mixing blade caught his fingers. His right index finger had skin removed, and his right middle fingertip was amputated.
2020-01-27ElkhornNebraskaJeff Mactaggart Masonry LLCFinger(s), fingernail(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during regular operation
An employee placed his right hand on top of a mortar mixer grate to pull the drum back into the upright position when the paddles came down and made contact with three of the employee's fingers, causing a partial amputation of the ring finger.
2020-01-27MiddletownDelawareEnterprise Masonry CorporationNonclassifiableOther fall to lower level
An employee was standing on the second landing of a recently poured concrete staircase, cleaning mortar droppings from handrails, when the employee lost balance and slipped/fell down six concrete steps.
2019-08-29DenverColorado5280 Custom Interiors LLCFinger(s), fingernail(s)Injured by slipping or swinging object held by injured worker
An employee was mixing mortar in a plastic bucket using a mixing drill. The mixer caught the employee's left glove, amputating the employee's left little finger to the nail.
2019-05-10LewesDelawareWilson Masonry CoMultiple body partsFall through surface or existing opening 16 to 20 feet
An employee was on a scaffold shaking mortar when the employee stepped backward and fell approximately 20 feet between two boards to the ground below. The employee suffered a collapsed lung, fractured vertebrae, and a skull contusion.
2019-04-22Fairless HillsPennsylvaniaSIKA CorporationBack, including spine, spinal cordStruck by falling object or equipment
An employee was moving a 30-to 40-gallon container of cement/mortar that was on wheels. The container tipped over onto the employee resulting in a back fracture.
2019-02-23ToledoOhioStarfire CorporationBack, including spine, spinal cordExplosion, n.e.c.
At 10:30 a.m. on February 23, 2019, an employee of Starfire Corporation sustained a laceration of his leg and burn injuries to his back from the premature ignition of a fireworks shell as he was loading the shell into the mortar tube in preparation for a fireworks aerial display.
2019-01-28MaconGeorgiaFair Masonry, LLCAnkle(s)Fall through surface or existing opening
An employee was working from a scaffold chiseling mortar. As the employee set his tools down onto the walk boards between two outriggers, the walk boards gave way and the employee fell feet first to the ground below. The employee suffered a broken ankle and was hospitalized.
2018-07-16DallasTexasAccurate Masonry of Texas Inc.Chest, except internal location of diseases or disordersFall through surface or existing opening
An employee was getting mortar for bricklayers when she fell partway through a gap on a scaffold. She suffered bruised/broken ribs.
2018-06-01TuscaloosaAlabamaVadd, Inc.Finger(s), fingernail(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during regular operation
An employee was mixing mortar when a bag fell in the mortar mixer. The employee was attempting to retrieve it when the mixing paddle struck the employee's hand, breaking a finger and causing lacerations.
2018-04-05SpringTexasGolden West Plastering CompanyFinger(s), fingernail(s)Caught in running equipment or machinery during maintenance, cleaning
An employee was adding mortar to a mixer when he noticed some build-up inside the mixer. He was attempting to clean the build-up when the mixer's rotating blade caught his gloved left hand, amputating his index finger and damaging his middle finger (possible amputation).
2017-08-28MansfieldOhioAK STEEL CORPORATIONFingertip(s)Injured by slipping or swinging object held by injured worker
An employee sustained a fingertip amputation when a bucket of mortar was set down on the employee's hand.
2017-06-03HoustonTexasDiscount Renovations, Inc.BrainExcavation or trenching cave-in
On 6/3/2017, an employee was working in a trench to erect a retaining wall to insert a large machine. During the work process, the concrete company had to remove the trench walls so that the work crew inside the trench could apply mortar to a pre-set area where the cinder blocks were to be placed. As the concrete crew removed the walls, the side of the trench collapsed and toppled onto the injured employee. He suffered forehead lacerations and bruising and temporarily lost consciousness. He was
2017-04-20NaplesFloridaColonial Roofing, Inc.Back, including spine, spinal cordOther fall to lower level
An employee fell from a ladder and injured his back as he was ascending with a mortar bucket to a single story roof.
2017-04-12CambriaWisconsinDidion Milling, IncFinger(s), fingernail(s)Injured by slipping or swinging object held by injured worker
An employee was mixing mortar with a battery powered drill. The employee's glove was caught in the drill chuck pulling his hand into the drill resulting in amputation of the thumb.
2016-04-26NewtonMississippiESCO CorporationArm(s)Vehicle or machinery fire
On 4/26/16, at approximately 5:15 AM, an employee was using a pneumatic chipping gun to break up hardened mortar inside the mortar mixer. When he connected his chipping gun's quick-connect hose to the airline, he accidentally hooked it to an oxygen line, which was not properly labeled. While he was operating the chipping gun with oxygen instead of compressed air, a fire broke out inside the tool and enveloped his right arm, face, and neck. He suffered second and third degree burns to his arm, a
2016-03-05HoustonTexasCamarata Masonry Systems, Ltd.Fingertip(s)Struck by object or equipment dropped by injured worker
An employee and coworkers were setting up the small mortar mixer on a concrete masonry unit to allow the mortar to be poured into a wheelbarrow. As he was lifting the mixer, it moved forward, causing him to lose his grip. It slipped out of his hand and pinched his fingers between the top of the concrete masonry unit and the bottom of the back of the mixer, amputating his right index fingertip.
2015-12-14AustinTexasCW Oates Masonry, Inc. Thigh(s)Pedestrian struck by vehicle in nonroadway area, n.e.c.
An employee was stabilizing a mortar tub that weighed approximately 75 to 100 pounds on a forklift. The load began to swing in a circular motion and pushed the employee toward the front right-side wheel. The forklift then rolled onto the employee's right leg, breaking the right femur.
2015-12-08SpringboroOhioHester Masonry Company, Inc.Neck, except internal location of diseases or disordersOther fall to lower level
An employee was moving walkboards. The employee slammed a walkboard to clean off excess mortar which caused an outlooker to break. This caused the scaffold to tilt and the employee fell sustaining a neck injury.
2015-01-29KingwoodTexasBR BRICK & STONE, L.P.BrainStruck by falling object or equipment, n.e.c.
A scaffold board was removed to load mortar onto the scaffold. As the scaffold board was placed back into position, an adjacent scaffold board fell from the third tier, striking an employee in the head. The injured employee was on the ground loading custom bricks into a bucket. He was taken to the hospital and admitted.