DateCityStateEmployerBody PartEvent
2017-06-02WestwegoLouisianaTurner Industries GroupMultiple body partsExposure through intact skin, eyes, or other exposed tissue
An employee was changing out bolts and a gasket on a 1.5" acid line in the acrylonitrile unit. The line was blinded and locked out and the valve was in the open position to the bleeder. When the employee cut the bolt on the flange, trapped pressure between the bleeder and flange caused residual sulfuric acid to spray the employee, causing chemical burns to the left abdomen, left arm, and left lower back.
2016-10-17FreeportTexasDOW CHEMICAL CO.BODY SYSTEMSExposure to other harmful substances
An employee was unloading acrylonitrile from a railcar. He pressure checked the setup, found a leak, and attempted to relieve pressure from the system by removing a bull plug from the bleed location in the piping. The bleed valve was not closed at the time. Material then released from the piping system through the open valve and sprayed the employee's upper abdomen. He was hospitalized.